Monday, February 07, 2005

Optimist/pessimist culture?

This blog entry is an extension of my previous blog. While writing the previous blog, I remembered my other observation. Do pardon my generalization... it's just my personal observation on things, and may not totally apply to everyone.

After staying in Aussie-land for the past few years, I realize the differences in culture, coming from a Chinese background. One of the differences that struck me was the optimistic/pessimitic view on things. Back home, I've been brought up in a more pessimitic environment I would say... with a lot of emphasis on "can't, never, impossible". Or questioning of my abilities "are you sure you can drive?" (ahaha, ok maybe my driving skills aren't top-knotch). :P When my grandma calls she asks "Ur mum is not in, right?" ... always found that amusing. And in general, there's a lot of frustration in society here, well with the bad traffic and dangerous driving.. can't blame us. Plus you often hear words like "jialat" , "die la" - local slangs for 'we're doomed'.

In Aussie-land, to my amazement (don't know if it applies elsewhere), the general public is rather optimistic. Words like "awesome, fantastic, fabulous, wonderful" are used all the time. And the salespeople & waiters / waitresses especially are in general very friendly... even made friends with a few of them. Even if they do not sincerely mean "that looks fantastic on you!" it still beats someone following you around the store with a sour-face thinking that you are trying to shoplift. When I was working there, I was always asked for my feedback on things that can be improved and my lecturer was concerned if I was "charging for all these hours". Wow, how appreciative!

Once again it's just my view on things based on my experiences..may not hold true for all situations. So yea, I'm trying to break out of this 'pessimistic' culture and adopt a more 'optimistic' culture :) It'd be good for health.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home