Monday, July 10, 2006

Forza Azzuri!!! World Cup's over :(

This early morning marks the end of the World Cup & back to normal life routine for most people. It's amazing how a game such as football can get all nations together to speak the same language. It's also amazing how I got interested to actually watch the football matches in the World Cup... as my friend reminded me just now, of how I was so disappointed at the guys who ditched the jazz bar for the England-Paraguay match at the beginning of the World Cup fever. I told them.. "Is it really that important that you have to watch the match?? What's so nice about 11 guys running after a ball?"

To satisfy my curiosity and being fed up of being ditched for football, I decided to watch a match. I think the first was England vs ... can't remember! England's match is sooo boring. Then, I started watching Italy vs Aussie... Brazil v Ghana.... England v Portugal... and on & on.... and realized how exciting the match actually is! When you watch it live, you never know what's going to happen next, and every minute counts - team dynamics can change, the scores can turn around and never underestimate the power of a good coach in controlling the game! :) So, it's not just bout chasing the ball huh..

Yes, I got hooked! Started to get wake up calls to watch the Semis... and then the Finals this morning. Man, I am sooooo tired now with only 2 hours of sleep. Soooo happy for the little blue Italian men! Everyone said that they were just pretty boys, well some of them really are, but at least they showed that they can play too! That's a double whammy! It was a dramatic match, very sad that Zidane had to mark the end of his career with a headbutt.. nevertheless, shit happens.

It was a moment of unsung heroes... like Grosso who took the last penalty shootout. All the highly proclaimed heroes, Thierry Henry, Zidane & Totti did not shine through. Much credit is to be given to Buffon as well, who just won the Best Goalkeeper award! (Woohoo!) And of course to Marcello Lippi who strategized it all. Never underestimate the power of teamwork , which I think the Italians did very well & improved over time. Forza Azzurri!!


Picture from Fifa World Cup website

Well, for the France fans, at least Zidane won the Golden Ball award - so that's a real redemption to mark the end of his career. He truly deserves it.. I mean, everyone makes mistakes. Cheers to a rather unusual World Cup (i.e. Brazil and Argentina got knocked out!) & I wonder if I'd still be so crazy about football. Highly unlikely, ask me in 4 years time! :P And yea, this is the first time I got my face painted...it's FUN, I should be in Germany!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home