Sunday, October 16, 2005

Innocent Steps

That's the title of this Korean movie I watched yesterday. No, I'm not a fan of Korean movies - I thought of watching one to set the mood for my trip end of the month. I always believe that before you travel somewhere, you should at least read about and learn something about the uniqueness of the country, immerse yourself in the culture, food and livelihood. So, to a small extent, a Korean movie sounded right.

I didn't expect much at all, in fact, I was thinking that it's gonna be another 'soppy love story'. Strangely enough, I actually enjoyed it! The film makes you laugh and cry. It was a love story but not such a naive one as typically, most Korean shows are. It was about dancing - though I don't dance, I love shows that are about dancing. Dance just captivates my heart... the rhythm, the music, the expression and the passion.

http://www.seoulselection.com/screening_dvd_view.html?pid=859

The movie portrayed that with determination, you can achieve your dreams despite major obstacles. Never let anyone undermine your abilities. Money cannot buy love. True love sees beyond the surface - the materialism, the outer appearances, the superficiality. The part that I disliked though was the chauvinistic-ism (if there's such a word) of the Korean culture. No man should ever hit a woman. No woman should ever be made to feel that they are second class. Submission is one thing, respect is another. We are all created equal.

Image from spc.net reviews



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home