Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Too polite?

I’ve been told several times that I’m too polite. Is there such a thing? Sigh, living in this world where people can be just so plain rude is frustrating. Never thought though that there could be such a thing as being ‘too polite’. It’s probably a Chinese thing – u know, how my mother would apologize for ‘troubling’ others. Personally, I’d rather be too polite than to be plain rude and ungrateful. :)

I’ve encountered so many rude people traveling in the LRT. People can just push their way in, grab the handgrip that I’m holding (!!?!) and God knows what else they are capable of. I’ve heard stories of old ladies using umbrellas to shove their way in! There was even this one woman who did a Rambo-style thingy - shoving herself in the jammed pack LRT and grabbed hold of 2 handgrips.. when I am holding one of them. Geez!!

There’s also the case of grumpy old women who just seem like the whole world owe them something. I say women, coz sadly most of the time these people tend to be women. Grumpy, fussy, rude and sarcastic.. and making everyone else’s life as miserable as theirs. Why why why? Just feel like giving them a nice big smile and say “Cheer up lady!!”.

I guess I’m still all dewy-eyed but sometimes seriously, everyone in this world just need to LAUGH & SMILE more. It makes a big difference in my day. I get asked ‘Why are u laughing / smiling?” … and sometimes, do we really need a reason to? Haha.. perhaps it’s coz I laugh at my own corny jokes apparently ;) Who cares? As long as it makes me happy and I get a dose of laughter a day. That’s all I need. :D

2 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger dust and ashes said...

I don't think there's such a thing as being too polite.

In the past year, I've had the privilege of getting to know some of the nicest, politest, and most sincere friends I've ever met. Being on the receiving end of such politeness and niceness, I can say without a doubt that it has impacted my life positively. In turn, I now try to be just as nice and friendly towards others.

Yes, there are a lot of rude people out there. It's a fallen world. But there is no harm done by being nice and polite to others, even though we feel that they don't "deserve" it. After all, that's what God's grace is all about -- showing love to those who don't deserve it.

Matthew 5:38-48

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger emeryz said...

Thanks for that, dust and ashes!
That was very encouraging especially when I was on the verge of giving up being nice ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home