Saturday, April 16, 2005

I am my own person

Have been having blog-blocks lately :) which explains the lack of updates. I have also been going through a lot of crazy self-discovery stuff and probably, going out way too much that I'm sooo *exhausted*.

I've just realized that there are a lot of people who let someone else define who they are and what they can become. Myself included. There's nothing wrong with seeking role models to look up to or for advice but in the end - I am my own person.

I've got my 'merger, acquisition or hostile takeover' theory for instance. This is in relation to couples in relationships. I tend to observe that some couples tend to be like a merger when they are together. Question: "How are you?" - Answer: "We are fine." An acquisition is like a possessive kind of relationship whereby there's a control freak who would not let the other person do what he/she wants... "You are not to go out with your friends tonight". And lastly the hostile takeover is just a sarcastic form of both - where one party dominates the other party without he/she agreeing to it, but nevertheless the weaker party succumbs to it unconsciously.

There are also issues with unrealistic expectations in relationships, as I read in Bonk's blog a few weeks ago. I mean seriously, if you want a companion 24/7 who is always happy and excited to see you irregardless, get a dog! If you want someone to keep your house clean, wash the car and make you 3 meals a day, get a maid! A lot of people tend to fall for an idealized version of their partner and try to morph them into that image. In the end, everyone has flaws and that's the beauty of it - accepting and loving someone with their flaws intact. Like Maroon 5 says "It's not always rainbows and butterflies but compromise that moves us along". :)

And lastly, I remember my brother-in-law telling me a few years back to remember that "There is no guy so good that you cannot live without", referring to a friend's extremely possessive bf at that stage. They were trying to get her out of it, and she has been and is now happily married. I guess there are a lot of us who are trapped in unhappy relationships or unresolved issues simply because of the fear of losing it. I guess sometimes you just have to let go and let fate take over.

I quote Tuck once again, because I could not have put it any better. ;)
"...more importantly let life and time teach you about yourselves. Time to learn about yourself, your strengths, your tolerance and your weaknesses as an individual."

I am my own person. Accept me as I am, and no other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home