Friday, February 24, 2006

Trainee. Tour guide. Tourist. Professional. Consultant. Participant. Team Lead. Event Manager.


The past 2 weeks were almost surreal for me! Checking in to the Sheraton, free meals, free accomodation, meeting 75 new people from all over Asia Pac, working in teams from 8am-7pm every day, partying from 8pm onwards and going back to class looking 'fresh' - that sums it up for my core training at my firm. One word - awesome!!

Initially I was so worried, being the one out of 2 participants from Malaysia ... will I find people to click with? Furthermore, the other participant doesn't really hang out with the others after class, leaving me to be the tour guide etc. Things always work out better when you least expect it!!

I ended up hanging out with a whole group of Australians, who often tell me how unMalaysian I am. :P Ok, just cause I didn't know my way around, but I'm still very Malaysian. They taught me so much about everything - to be yourself, to not care about what others think and to be a unique individual. To quote one of them, "Don't be shy, be Australian" :P Thanks so much for the friendship and company!!

The one core thing about my firm is that everyone's really good at working hard and playing hard, the world over! The Singaporeans, Japanese, Indonesians, Chinese etc... you name it. We went to Cynna, Passion, Beach Club, Zouk, shopping at Bukit Bintang (or 'bucket bentang' as the Aussies pronounced it), more shopping at 1 Utama and Central Market, Petaling Street, eating at Jalan Alor, more partying at Passion, visiting the office at Twin Towers, yummy dinners (free!), Luna Bar, and an all-nighter Zouk and mamak session later. No wonder I am sick now!

I also learnt that it is hard to be a tourist in KL. Everyone tries to rip you off - especially cab drivers. End up haggling on prices, finding cabbies that use the meters, being a bitch sometimes to get my way, using all the Cantonese I can master to get bargains for my foreign friends, pulling all my help when it comes to directions (yes, a local getting 11 foreigners lost). In the end, they brought me around KL! :) All in all, I had heaps of FUN - it must've been the highlight of my career so far. I learnt heaps, of course, training materials too :P and had a good chat with one of the trainers on career development.... learnt of my personality type and definitely how to handle myself and clients better.

What more could I ask for? However, the hardest part is yet to come - getting back to reality!! All good things do come to an end. I'm gonna miss all of you so much... Jenny, Ozona, Linda, Mo, Paul, Marius, Pete, Dave, Luke, Al, Leon, Anthony, Ivan, Jamein, Yanxi, Anand, Anggie, Diane etc etc etc.

"Dream as if you will live forever; live as if you will die tomorrow"

Adios my friends. Hopefully one day, our paths will cross again!! :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home