Saturday, December 31, 2005

Goodbye 2005! Hello 2006 :)



Yet another year has gone by. It's the time of the year for New Year's Resolutions and to reflect back at what one has accomplished in the past 12 months. A time to reflect on the highs and the lows, and the lessons learnt. 2005 for me, has been a year where strength, courage, determination and freedom have never been more real. It definitely is a significant year - coming back home, my first job, first paycheck, new friends, new beginnings.. it was a blast!

Highlights of my year:

- Going places: Bangkok, Pangkor, Singapore, Redang, Damai Laut, Korea, Camerons ... all packed with excessive fun, shopping sprees, sun, sand & sea... thanks to my best-est travelling buddies

- Work-wise: Met a bunch of fun, crazy new colleagues who allow me to be myself :) , stationed in a project with equally fun, crazy supervisors who really know how to work & party hard. Won best new hires performance despite 2 weeks notice, 2 practices & having to 'lead' the team that I've not met. Having to take lead of clients after my boss' resignation (stressful stressful times) but was surprised with an award... (which includes retail therapy... ;)

- Going back to church: Although it was a tough journey, I've 'run' back to God, the One who matters, and is probably the sole reason this year was a blast! Would not have managed to pull through all the struggles if not for Him. Also the source of my joy, strength and purpose in life. Also, miraculously found a cell group that is so, so warm, caring & genuine (after a long search) - it always touches me how people who hardly know you can be genuinely so nice and helpful & be there for you when everything crumbles. Love you guys heaps!

- Family & friends: Being back with family and friends - the 2 most important factors to anyone's lives. One cannot deceive oneself too much, it's usually the people around you that matter most and make the difference - the pursuit of material things and career sometimes blind us but we should never lose sight of what's truly important to us.

- Fitness: Joining the gym - the one thing that anyone who knows me well enough will find shocking. Yes, I've not exercised like my whole life, so after being persuaded to join the gym by my colleague, little did I know that I could actually increase my stamina and feel good after exercising! From being a person who can't do 20 minutes of stationary cycling (level zero) without panting, to going an hour in the gym with treadmills, cross-trainers & aerobic classes... and actually enjoying it! Anything is possible! ;)

- Rediscovering myself: Being stuck in a rut for the past 2 years & living to others' expectations of me, I think my biggest accomplishment this year is to have gotten out of that hole that I've dug for myself. I've never felt so liberated, and so confident to just be me, and to be accepted for who I am, not to be judged by my outer appearances. I've come out more determined, confident and happier in ways I've never thought possible. Once again, all glory to God.

I wanted to write about the 'lows' of the year, but I realized that it was because of the 'lows' that shaped my year to be such a great one. Life is never easy, but it's what we make of it & how we approach situations that determine your happiness.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Happy New Year 2006! It' s time for me to write my New Year's resolutions once again. Thanks heaps to my crazy friends and colleagues who made my New Year's Eve celebration such a blast last night! :)

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger enn@j said...

blessed new year!!!! :) hope u had a blast and will continue to do so for 2006

Glad I met u in 2005, although ours is a brief encounter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home