Tuesday, December 13, 2005

If an enemy had reviled me...

"If an enemy had reviled me, that I could bear; If my foe had viewed me with contempt, from that I could hide. But it was you, my other self, my comrade and friend, You, whose company I enjoyed, at whose side I walked in procession in the house of God." Psalms 55:13-15

Came across this line in the book "The 9 to 5 Window" by Os Hillman. Somehow it gave me some "blogspiration" - so I decided to blog about it. I think the psalmist was reflecting on something really personal, stating that if an enemy was to betray him - he can accept that, but not a close friend. Can you imagine? Someone very dear to you, someone that you trust deeply and confided in, betraying you? How does that feel?

Cheated. Broken. Hurt.

That's how it feels. Sometimes it takes months or even years to regain the trust (if there's any left) and rekindle the relationship (if it still remains). Trust is a very fragile thing - it's like if you shatter a glass and try to mend it, it could be done but the cracks are always visible, always there.

And yet, the bible says to 'love your enemies'. I think that's one verse that is very difficult to live by. It states that everyone can love the people who are dear to them because that's easy to do, but how different are you if you do not love your enemies. The only way to do that is to rely on God for that extraordinary strength, to swallow your pride and remind yourself of God's grace. If He could forgive you and love you despite all the crap that you have done, who are you not to forgive and love those who have hurt you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home